Recent cold spells irrelevant to climate change big picture = False
Add Reply
w***@gmail.com
2018-12-04 23:20:47 UTC
https://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2018/nov/28/danielle-pletka/recent-cold-spells-irrelevant-climate-change-big-p/

If man’s impact on climate goes unchecked, global warming could inflict devastating long-term effects on the environment, economy and public health, warn U.S. government scientists in a major new report.

But while some heard the 1,600-page National Climate Assessment as a blaring distress call, others were less alarmed.

On NBC’s Meet the Press, Danielle Pletka, a foreign policy expert at the conservative American Enterprise Institute, allowed that climate change is happening, but hastened to add that she didn’t know if it’s caused by humans. (In fact, scientists say they are the main contributor.)

She argued the issue of climate change is subject to "hysteria" and said certain weather phenomena, like periods of global cooling, are overlooked by the mainstream media narrative.

"We need to also recognize that we just had two of the coldest years, biggest drop in global temperatures that we have had since the 1980s, the biggest in the last 100 years," Pletka said during a panel discussion. "We don't talk about that because it's not part of the agenda."

Climate scientists told us that part of Pletka’s claim is false and part is misleading.
‘Two of the coldest years’

Pletka said we just had two of the coldest years on record. That’s wrong.

Gavin Schmidt, a climatologist and director of NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies, pointed us to a chart of NASA data showing global average temperatures over time:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/w-FFfxg9ghvibFbf3fNnNLgBn_x_VGDHzyglZap7Wrytdyv_-_cgBwSeUDIYIYXAA7QtAmoK3Q1YoAo8-fyowGEPdcjo2MMJ4Xk7cyBZwE-4E-Fw1dXKtYzzX9QlSZ6BB969SYam

The far-right dots represent the global temperatures of 2017 and 2016. According to this data, they are actually some of the warmest years on record — which contradicts this portion of Pletka’s claim.

We’d note that the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, which has a slightly different way of calculating temperature, shows 2016 and 2015 as the warmest years on record.

In the United States, according to NASA data, 2017 and 2016 were the second- and third-warmest years.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/nA7gi_suNVAoj3q9gLu8GjhBngmAQrCwlnD1TlPGYapEqmqnnBmLX1y8VkTolqY48VDCnzp1V_l_tAv8wypzVLT5jPf-wh7eYBb5lf4mfP5WXLSIhHsFUJPTnp2LTzGU7FBSBKFa

... (cont)
me
2018-12-04 23:29:59 UTC
Post by w***@gmail.com
https://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2018/nov/28/danielle-pletka/recent-cold-spells-irrelevant-climate-change-big-p/
If man’s impact on climate goes unchecked, global warming could inflict devastating long-term effects on the environment, economy and public health, warn U.S. government scientists in a major new report.
Sent this off a couple of days ago:

Rex Smith contributed ‘When belief tops science, truth at stake’ (November 30, 2018) about climate change warnings from expert scientists. Climate Change is scientific fact, we are told. How dare President Trump, or any of us non-experts, question scientists and the scientific method!?

Let’s consider math. Statistics is math. Sampling and probability is math. Experts predicted a Hillary victory. It didn’t happen. The consensus of banking experts failed to predict the Great Recession. Oops! Need I go on?

Some may have forgotten, but not all that long ago scientists warned of Global Warming. Facts appear to have brought that prediction into question. It turns out there is scientific evidence of Global Cooling.

http://notrickszone.com/2018/04/09/new-paper-seismic-changes-signal-95-probability-global-temps-will-hit-1990s-levels-by-2019/

http://solarcycle24com.proboards.com/thread/2770/global-cooling-irregular-seasons-2018

http://www.climatecooling.org

What to do? Call it ‘climate change’! Then reality will always fit the facts.

A belief in Santa Claus is less dangerous than blind faith in expert predictions - particularly those funded by government grants.
CLOISTER
2018-12-05 15:51:32 UTC
Post by w***@gmail.com
[...]
This past month, November was the coldest November on record.
I agree with her 100%. It is a hysteria that some people
actually thrive on. You can pick them out in family gatherings.
They are the old fashioned prophets of doom or some call them
crepe hangers (referring to funerals in the 1800 where hanging
black crepe was fashionable)
The Man in the High Castle
2018-12-05 16:33:54 UTC
Post by CLOISTER
Post by w***@gmail.com
[...]
Fun fact: Missouri will suffer more than most when the MAN MADE climate
change hits the fan, you uneducated and stupid fuck.