Tom Selleck is also one of the strongest Christian conservatives in Hollywood. (who'd a known?)
2016-06-30 00:22:05 UTC
In addition to his unwavering character when it comes to his faith and family, Tom Selleck is also one of the strongest Christian conservatives in Hollywood.

Today, Selleck hopes to encourage others to live a Godly lifestyle, led by Biblical principles instead of selfishness, a sense of entitlement, and greed.

Selleck shared, “I try very hard to conduct myself in an ethical way, because that’s important to my stability now. We’re a culture that’s so centered on the individual,” Selleck complains. “The culture says that basically nothing is more important than the way you feel. We’re living in an age that celebrates unchecked impulses.”

That’s one reason Selleck helped found Character Counts! with the late Congresswoman Barbara Jordan. It’s a youth-oriented nonprofit organization that focuses on building ethics. He’s an active board member, lobbying Congress and making frequent public appearances.

Whether he’s taking a public stand for our country’s Second Amendment, supporting our troops, or thanking the hardworking police officers across America, Selleck’s outstanding character and unwavering faith is a beautiful sight to behold.

Tom Selleck’s life boasts of what God can do when one man is willing to hold fast to his character, work hard, honor his wife, lead his family, and make a difference. And there’s no doubt that Tom Selleck’s life has inspired Americans of all ages.

While listening to Tom Selleck’s inspiring story, I just couldn’t help but think of Proverbs 16:9 and 1 Peter 5:5-7, which read,

“A man’s heart plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps.”

“Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that He may lift you up in due time.”

Tom’s steadfast character and undeniable love for his family sets him apart, while his faith and trust in the Lord is indeed a beautiful sight to behold. Thank you Tom Selleck, for your unashamed faith and unwavering principles. Tom Selleck will forever be one of the world’s most beloved actors. America needs more men in Hollywood like Tom Selleck, please share if you agree.
===================
Married to the same gal all these years-one daughter
Gary
2016-06-30 11:50:30 UTC
[...]
Spouse(s)

Jacqueline Ray (m. 1971–1982; divorced)
Jillie Mack (m. 1987–present)

Children 2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Selleck

I'd never noticed Selleck until recdent years. I really enjoy his TV series, --
the Blue Bloods. About a family of policemen.
El Castor
So do I. (-8
Gary
2016-06-30 19:02:30 UTC
Married to the same gal all these years-one daughter
Spouse(s)
Jacqueline Ray (m. 1971–1982; divorced)
Jillie Mack (m. 1987–present)
Children 2
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Selleck
I'd never noticed Selleck until recdent years. I really enjoy his TV series, --
the Blue Bloods. About a family of policemen.
So do I. (-8
That is the most enjoyable TV program I've seen in many years. To me -- all the
actors are good in their roles. It is very well cast -- and the stories are
good. I don't know what TV is like in California -- but we get one cable
channel --ION, that carries several episodes a day (re-runs). I catch a
couple when I'm not doing anything.
El Castor
2016-07-01 00:13:48 UTC
Married to the same gal all these years-one daughter
Spouse(s)
Jacqueline Ray (m. 1971–1982; divorced)
Jillie Mack (m. 1987–present)
Children 2
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Selleck
I'd never noticed Selleck until recdent years. I really enjoy his TV series, --
the Blue Bloods. About a family of policemen.
So do I. (-8
That is the most enjoyable TV program I've seen in many years. To me -- all the
actors are good in their roles. It is very well cast -- and the stories are
good. I don't know what TV is like in California -- but we get one cable
channel --ION, that carries several episodes a day (re-runs). I catch a
couple when I'm not doing anything.
The only program I can think of that treats the race and cop issues
honestly. I've often wondered if Tom Selleck had something to do with
that.
Gary
2016-07-01 11:39:04 UTC
[...]
I've never thought about it -- but I have been (pleasntly) surprised at how few
blacks show up in the show. After all -- it is New York City. Most shows
would have had at least one black daughter-in-law. Have you noticed that
although the black mayor is Selleck's boss -- Tom does not kiss his ass.
El Castor
2016-07-01 19:44:51 UTC
[...]
It seems to be required in these cop shows that the lieutenant be
Black, and judges are usually Black. At least one high ranking
whatever is always Black. This is designed to make us comfortable with
Blacks in positions of authority. Blue Bloods isn't afraid to give
crook roles to Blacks, and treat them as complicated interesting
characters -- not necessarily role models.

The History Channel just did a series on the barbarians who eventually
brought down Rome. I like history, so I recorded it. The first
barbarian they covered was Hannibal, I'll be damned, they made him
Black. His army is 100% White, but Hannibal is Black? The
Carthaginians were the Phoenician conquerors of the western North
African coast around Algeria -- they were not Black, but the History
Channel had to be politically correct. Then when they got to
Spartacus, they couldn't make him Black, so they brought in Jesse
Jackson as their expert commentator on the subject of Roman slavery! I
hit the delete button.
Gary
2016-07-01 20:27:23 UTC
[...]
A couple of years ago, I was in a grocery store. I looked up and saw a
policeman walking toward me. He was black. No big deal. Liberal minded me
realize they are everywhere now. But then, I saw his pistol ! Scared the
hell out of me ! I had never seen an armed black guy in public before. I
walked briskly away !
Post by El Castor
Blue Bloods isn't afraid to give
crook roles to Blacks, and treat them as complicated interesting
characters -- not necessarily role models.
The History Channel just did a series on the barbarians who eventually
brought down Rome. I like history,
So do I.
Post by El Castor
so I recorded it. The first
barbarian they covered was Hannibal, I'll be damned, they made him
Black. His army is 100% White, but Hannibal is Black?
That's funny, I just finished reading an ebook about the history of Rome. It
mentions Hannibal -- and he was not black !
Post by El Castor
The
Carthaginians were the Phoenician conquerors of the western North
African coast around Algeria -- they were not Black, but the History
Channel had to be politically correct. Then when they got to
Spartacus, they couldn't make him Black, so they brought in Jesse
Jackson as their expert commentator on the subject of Roman slavery! I
hit the delete button.
I checked out a library book awhile back about the history of Egypt. I was
actually shocked when the authors built the case that all the founders of
ancient Egypt were black. That is genuine B.S. (with capital letters).

But I fear the white kids in public schools are being taught this crap. So
they will respect love the black kids. And before long -- we will see movies
that will portray the Founding Fathers as black men who had learned the idea of
a Constitution in their African homeland. Aren't we lucky ?
GLOBALIST
2016-07-01 21:07:23 UTC
=================

I checked out a library book awhile back about the history of Egypt. I was
actually shocked when the authors built the case that all the founders of
ancient Egypt were black. That is genuine B.S. (with capital letters).

I have run across some internet sites who swear the same thing and
that blacks should be told how their culture was coming from
Pharaohs etc.
Seems odd to me because from the beginning of time and even
now most Egyptians are fair skinned.
And the ancient hieroglyphics show jet black Ethiopians
actings as slaves. Black militants insist this was poor
artwork. Dumb and dumber, the artist knew damn well why
he chose the color he used. It was not a paint by number kit
Gary
2016-07-01 21:26:11 UTC
Post by El Castor
[...]
I'm only guessing, but it must be somewhere in the bowels of academia that all
this historical revisionism is being promoted. They have been trying for many
years to make blacks equal with whites. Sixty years ago, they felt if blacks
could get the same education as white -- they could be lifted to being equal
with whites. Fifty years later -- they see that goal is going to be difficult
to bring about. So how to make blacks and whites equal ? Drag whites down
to the level blacks. The new history curriculum if evidence of that last
effort.

And none of our gutless politicians says a word about it.
b***@gmail.com
2020-07-04 09:18:27 UTC
https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeKk00-7Zg4gsK18AQ_5vgeAos4yLFw_w:1593851516357&source=univ&tbm=isch&q=amarna+period+in+Egypt&client=android-mpcs-us-revc&fir=GZWPAi_2POiEiM%252CaNIwjcAGSYXQ3M%252C_%253BgKlyqRfZRMOgGM%252CUAE2LhzP1e6uDM%252C_%253BsEq33n8ld5YOJM%252CUAE2LhzP1e6uDM%252C_%253BsX7iU6XTm3BsjM%252CaB03y48MNuHnOM%252C_%253BBeC8k085tLND-M%252CUAE2LhzP1e6uDM%252C_%253BGqI1GI1j6C5L9M%252CEZi97irfrpYpPM%252C_%253Bv5ZN7yYxi2VeLM%252CUAE2LhzP1e6uDM%252C_%253BnJwMiPMO8aiTsM%252CRPh0iEAs-e-IsM%252C_%253B-WfVDg0uYShBbM%252CUAE2LhzP1e6uDM%252C_&usg=AI4_-kT0OY8CHTLk46x316NxNusAfZAngQ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjY4tPLl7PqAhUsgnIEHSRzAYgQ420oCXoECAgQDA&biw=412&bih=758#imgrc=J6YdMl1VDC1q7M&imgdii=
b***@comcast.net
2020-06-22 22:06:41 UTC
What a bunch of racists!
d***@gmail.com
2020-06-30 21:44:39 UTC
I have been a fan of Tom selleck since magnum days. I read about his beliefs. Which I would say that is his true character ,is proven to be a Christian . Due to what you don't see in the news as much as what is reported. For today's world seeks out negative news. Where there is none, they try and create negatively. His deliverance of whatever character he has every protrade has been 100% spot on. He puts 'himself'into them. His personal life is his business his belief is between himself and Christ. Whom I see in the man ,Tom Selleck. Forever a fan. 34 years so far.
Johnny
I like him in Blue Bloods.
El Castor
2020-07-01 02:41:20 UTC
Same here.
d***@gmail.com
2020-07-01 12:40:27 UTC
Thanks for giving my letter its billing. Never posted before. Just felt strongly about the man Tom selleck, to state my thoughts. Great Man.
d***@gmail.com
2020-07-01 13:16:03 UTC
Me=dolly. @g.mail. excuse my errors.
El Castor
2020-07-01 17:10:24 UTC
Post by d***@gmail.com
Thanks for giving my letter its billing. Never posted before. Just felt strongly about the man Tom selleck, to state my thoughts. Great Man.
UseNet was the first version of the Internet. It pre-dates web sites,
search engines, and the web itself. You just participated in an
ancient tradition. (-8
Johnny
2020-07-01 17:19:50 UTC
On Wed, 01 Jul 2020 10:10:24 -0700
Post by El Castor
Post by d***@gmail.com
Thanks for giving my letter its billing. Never posted before. Just
felt strongly about the man Tom selleck, to state my thoughts.
Great Man.
UseNet was the first version of the Internet. It pre-dates web sites,
search engines, and the web itself. You just participated in an
ancient tradition. (-8
I think dolly and anyone else posting through Google, would enjoy it
more with a newsreader like Thunderbird that gets it's messages from a
news server like nntp.aioe.org.

As far as I can tell, Google Groups has no filtering capability, and
they just have wade the garbage of crossposts and trolls to find a
reply to their posts.
d***@gmail.com
2020-07-01 19:50:16 UTC
Thankyou. Still foreign to me to post anything. Not something I do. Thank you again . There are still nice people in this world.
Johnny
2020-07-01 20:37:36 UTC
On Wed, 1 Jul 2020 12:50:16 -0700 (PDT)
Post by d***@gmail.com
Thankyou. Still foreign to me to post anything. Not something I do.
Thank you again . There are still nice people in this world.
If you really want to experience Usenet, setup a Thunderbird account.
It's all free.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/creating-newsgroup-account

Just follow the directions, and when asked for the address of the news
server enter this: nntp.aioe.org

aioe.org doesn't require a name and password.
p***@gmail.com
2020-07-09 18:08:18 UTC
This is good to know. My husband saw a disappointing ad on TV about Mr. Selleck, which was the very opposite of this article. Thank you for letting us know the truth. May God Continue to Bless and Keep Tom Selleck and his family.
Lawrence Akutagawa
2016-06-30 17:15:38 UTC
"GLOBALIST" wrote in message news:4187fa02-929d-4ad5-a26e-***@googlegroups.com...

[...]

****** This line separates my response from the foregoing ******

Hey...Village Idiot, please logically and cogently reconcile these ("one of
the strongest Christian conservatives") words you post of Tom Selleck with
this statement from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Selleck
"In a 2012 magazine article about his career, he mentioned that he likes the
fact that his character on Blue Bloods and his Reagan family members are
visibly practicing Catholics, while adding that he is not very religious
himself."

How, Village Idiot, does someone...anyone...who is "not very religious" get
to be known as "one of the strongest Christian conservatives"?

And I would say that it is a very good thing that Selleck seems not to be a
Catholic because he is...after all...divorced and remarried. Should he
indeed be Catholic, then he would not at all be accepted by the Roman
Catholic Church, would he? If you disagree, Village Idiot, then explain how
it is that someone divorced and remarried receives all the sacraments of the
Catholic Church.
from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Selleck
"From 1971 to 1982, Selleck was married to model Jacqueline Ray. During that
time, he adopted her son, Kevin Shepard (born 1966).
"On August 7, 1987, Selleck married Jillie Mack. They have one daughter,
Hannah Margaret Selleck (born December 16, 1988)."

Now...Performance #1023 of that magnificent Intellectual Coward ploy that
allows the Village Idiot - tail between his legs with his rear end toward
us - run away back into his hole under that great big rock of his.
g***@gmail.com
2018-12-02 07:33:15 UTC
Wiki says he likes that the characters are catholic, not that he is. Didn't say he's not religious either.

Basically means he's protestant.

Make sure you're not an idiot before calling someone "village idiot"
l***@gmail.com
how can someone who says they are not very religious suddenly get to be known as one of the strongest Christians? never underestimate the power of the gospel of Christ. As for divorce and remarriage, we don't know why he and first wife split. there is one scriptural reason for divorce and remarriage. adultery. Matthew 19. don't have all the info so don't judge.no he is not catholic, he and his wife are members of the Disciples of Christ.
rumpelstiltskin
2019-08-13 05:37:37 UTC
I recognized the name Tom Selleck, but I had to look up google
images to put a face to the name. Now I have the face with the
name, but I still don't remember what TV show he is/was on.

Where did this thread come from anyway? Apparently it's a
response to Lawrence Akutagawa from 2016. Lawrence hasn't
been on this group for a long time, status unknown (dead or not),
unfortunately. The moniker of the current poster is "iwidner",
not previously seen in soc.retirement, to my recollection.

I'd just gotten through resetting the three panels in my Forte
Agent newsreader (left: newsgroups, top right: headers of posts
within thread in the current newsgroup, and bottom right:
text of the post currently being looked at), so that I can see
all three at the same time again. It's confusing as heck when
the panel setup becomes uncombobulated for an unknown
reason. I always have a devil of a time recombobulating the
setup after that happens. I solved it this time just by
pressing "z" when I wasn't in a mode that would take that
as me meaning to type the letter "z". Then, with the
help of Merlin, the three panels magically reappeared
correctly. I'll have to try to remember that "z". I found
the instruction for it in an obscure place in Forte Agent's
bewildering (to me) "help" instructions for managing
the panel layout. It was a big surprise to me when
pressing "z" when not in typing-mode actually worked!

After recombobulating my newsreader, I found
that Tom Selleck is the same age as me (74), but
that and what his face looks like are still the only things
I know about him. There was text that I could have
read about him, but I didn't read it because I wasn't
interested.

Oh well, sorry to anybody who read this far, but
that "z" might be useful information to anybody else
who uses Forte Agent - the only possibly useful thing
in this whole rambling post of mine.

I thanked Merlin because there's more of a chance
that he was a real entity who might still have some
power, than the utterly crazy Jehovah fantasy which
is of great interest as an astonishingly peculiar
emanation from the evolving human mind, but
otherwise of no interest at all except for the
repercussions of that bizarre fantasy on human
history.

Oh well, I guess I'm done now. My sincere
apologies to anyone who might have read this far.

---
Josh Rosenbluth
2019-08-13 14:22:49 UTC
Magnum PI, Blue Bloods and shilling for reverse mortgages.
rumpelstiltskin
2019-08-13 14:43:19 UTC
On Tue, 13 Aug 2019 07:22:49 -0700, Josh Rosenbluth
Post by Josh Rosenbluth
Post by rumpelstiltskin
I recognized the name Tom Selleck, but I had to look up google
images to put a face to the name. Now I have the face with the
name, but I still don't remember what TV show he is/was on.
Magnum PI, Blue Bloods and shilling for reverse mortgages.
I read about Magnum PI in his bio. I've heard about
that TV show and I know it was very popular, but I
never watched it. I tend more to science shows and
to high-grade comedy shows such as Seinfeld and
Monty Python. When I was much younger, my
favourite cartoon show was Rocky and Bullwinkle.
When I was in college, Rocky and Bullwinkle was the
frat-boy favourite show.

To my recollection, I've never heard of "Blue Bloods".
I'm very good at tuning out commercials even if I'm
not quick enough with my channel-flipping finger.'

My LED TV died August 1, after ten or even twenty
years of faithful service. I got a new TV that was
LCD, but it died after only three days. I sent it back
and am waiting for the refund now. I've since
read that LCD is particularly delicate, and those
TV's can be broken with a single finger pressure.
It arrived on a Thursday. I was very happy with
the picture quality Thursday night and Friday and
Saturday, but on Sunday morning the only picture
I could get was a mammary-cloud pattern with
vertical stripes on the left, and a screen-fracture
pattern on the right though the screen wasn't
physically damaged at all. I will get a new TV
eventually (LED this time) but I've been without
a TV for most of the last two weeks now, and
am surprised at how little I've missed it.
Josh Rosenbluth
2019-08-13 15:02:09 UTC
Post by Josh Rosenbluth
Post by rumpelstiltskin
I recognized the name Tom Selleck, but I had to look up google
images to put a face to the name. Now I have the face with the
name, but I still don't remember what TV show he is/was on.
Magnum PI, Blue Bloods and shilling for reverse mortgages.
I read about Magnum PI in his bio. I've heard about
that TV show and I know it was very popular, but I
never watched it. I tend more to science shows and
to high-grade comedy shows such as Seinfeld and
Monty Python. When I was much younger, my
favourite cartoon show was Rocky and Bullwinkle.
When I was in college, Rocky and Bullwinkle was the
frat-boy favourite show.
I almost forgot his supporting role in In & Out, in which he has a great
kissing scene with Kevin Kline's character.
rumpelstiltskin
2019-08-13 18:08:08 UTC
Post by Josh Rosenbluth
Post by rumpelstiltskin
I recognized the name Tom Selleck, but I had to look up google
images to put a face to the name. Now I have the face with the
name, but I still don't remember what TV show he is/was on.
Magnum PI, Blue Bloods and shilling for reverse mortgages.
I read about Magnum PI in his bio. I've heard about
that TV show and I know it was very popular, but I
never watched it. I tend more to science shows and
to high-grade comedy shows such as Seinfeld and
Monty Python. When I was much younger, my
favourite cartoon show was Rocky and Bullwinkle.
When I was in college, Rocky and Bullwinkle was the
frat-boy favourite show.
I almost forgot his supporting role in In & Out, in which he has a great
kissing scene with Kevin Kline's character.
Kevin Kline is another name that I know I've heard,
but I have no idea what he's done. If somebody
is mostly known for starring in a "TV drama", I'm
much less likely than otherwise to be familiar
with him/her, since I find TV dramas utterly boring.
I'm much more into comedy, such as "Seinfeld"
and reruns of 1970's game shows, particularly
"Match Game" When Richard Dawson, Charles
Nelson Reilly, and Brett Somers are all among the
panelists. I just checked, and they're all dead now.

We need a single, one-syllable, word for
"him or her".I've tried "herm" but abandoned it
since it seemed to me unlikely to catch on.
There's always "they" and "them" of course,
but that's awkward too if one is talking about
a single person.
islander
2019-08-13 23:08:40 UTC
Post by Josh Rosenbluth
Post by rumpelstiltskin
[...]
I watch Blue Bloods from time to time, but it tends to be
saccharin-sweet, right wing family values kind of show about a
patriarchal family of law officers who have dinner together each week.
Kind of like "Leave it to Beaver" for adults. Life is not so simple, IMV.

There is a big difference between LED and LCD TVs. LED TVs have an array
of light emitting diodes while LCD TVs have an array of liquid crystal
devices that allow light to be transmitted from a background
illumination. LEDs used to be power hogs, but that may have changed.
Both use similar if not identical circuitry to drive the arrays and it
seems to be a common problem for half the display to crap out. We have
had that problem with a couple of technologies and our current LCD TV is
exhibiting the problem until it "warms up." I thought that warm up
problems went away with vacuum tubes, but I guess I was mistaken. In
any case, I don't have a problem with waiting a few minutes, but my wife
is a lot more impatient than I am. It is probably going to crap out
entirely some time and we will have to buy another. Bummer! That will
probably mean a trip to the mainland.

The monitor on my computer has also died and I am using an older,
smaller monitor until I can find a good deal on a new larger monitor.
I've been thinking about buying a new computer with two large displays
which would be convenient for my research and writing. My current
computer is about 5 years old which is ancient by today's standards, I
guess.

I'm also finding that more and more of my sources are putting up pay
walls. Not very expensive, but I'm annoyed that knowledge is being
restricted to those who can pay. Knowledge should be free, IMV.
rumpelstiltskin
2019-08-13 23:51:40 UTC
Post by Josh Rosenbluth
Post by rumpelstiltskin
[...]
As soon as I see a pay wall, it's "Exit stage Left" or
"Exit stage Right" for me.

I know nothing: I am from Barcelona, but as I
mentioned, my old LED tv lasted for ten or
maybe even 20 years. I plan to get an LED again
when I finally get around to getting a new TV at
all.

rumpelstiltskin
m***@gmail.com
2019-11-18 22:11:06 UTC
Yes, Catholics like myself can be divorced, remarry and receive all the Sacraments. I am a devout Catholic. That's exactly what I did, NO problem.
m***@gmail.com
2019-12-17 12:31:52 UTC
WWJD?
Can you refute this claim without name-calling and mean-spiritedness?
c***@msn.com
2020-04-26 03:14:56 UTC
Wow, speak of a village idiot!
Religion does not equal Christianity!
Christianity is being "Christ like"
Religions make their own rules, and although many follow Christ, their own religion rules are often not at all about Christ.
s***@gmail.com
l***@gmail.com
2020-05-02 21:50:21 UTC
I truly hope there are more people in this world who have the same character and strength in their faith 0as Tom Selleck.
El Castor
2020-05-03 07:06:41 UTC
Amen
Ati
2020-05-13 05:16:19 UTC
I am grateful to all those in the public eye who stand firm and courageously follow higher principals of virtue. And to remember that at the base, the virtues of all religions are the same: faith, love, generosity, tolerance, forgiveness. compassion, continence, etc.
j***@carolina.rr.com
m***@gmail.com
2020-07-02 19:19:53 UTC
What I would be interested in finding out is how Selleck reconciles his deep Christian beliefs with his Magnum characterization. After all Magmum slept with more women than any other TV character on TV, with the possible exception of Capt. Kirk.