Biden In Canada's Pocket?
Add Reply
Anubis
2020-11-14 21:15:23 UTC
OTTAWA—The U.S. may be polarized, but Canada’s political class was very much
united in congratulating President-elect Joe Biden for defeating President
Donald Trump.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau wasted no time in congratulating Biden after
major U.S. media outlets called the drawn-out presidential election in the
Democrat’s favour Saturday.

“On behalf of the Government of Canada, I congratulate Joe Biden and Kamala
Harris on their election as the next president and vice president of the
United States of America,” Trudeau said in a statement less than an hour
after Biden was projected as the winner.

“I look forward to working with President-elect Biden, Vice President-elect
Harris, and their administration, and the United States Congress as we tackle
the world’s greatest challenges together.”

The reference to congress was not accidental. Trudeau’s government was
obliged to forge stronger ties with lawmakers in D.C. after Trump threatened
to rip up the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) and imposed tariffs
on Canadian products.

The government’s approach was to make inroads with congress, as well as state
governors, in a charm offensive to blunt Trump’s whims.

Biden’s victory likely means that Canada will not have to worry as much about
a mercurial president challenging the foundation of the two countries’
relationship — from NATO to NAFTA, national security to trade. While there
are policy differences between Biden and the Trudeau government — chiefly the
Keystone XL pipeline — the broader strokes of the new president’s agenda
aligns with Ottawa’s priorities: combating climate change, managing COVID-19,
and “building back better” after the worst economic crisis in a century.

Canada’s political leaders — federal, provincial and municipal — sent similar
messages of congratulations Saturday afternoon.
YOU MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN...
Canada
Canadian snowbirds find creative way to get to Florida — with their cars —
despite closed border
4 days ago
Donald Trump’s repulsive speech nearly brings Stephen Colbert to tears
WorldOPINION
Donald Trump’s repulsive speech nearly brings Stephen Colbert to tears
6 days ago

“Our economies and the livelihoods of many living on both sides of the border
depend on one another,” wrote Premier Doug Ford in a statement on Twitter.

“I look forward to continuing building on Ontario’s relationship with the
United States. We all do better when we work together.”

“Congratulations to U.S. President-elect Joe Biden on his victory,” Mayor
John Tory wrote.

“Toronto is committed to working with our U.S. neighbours to strengthen our
economies during and after the pandemic.”
%
2020-11-14 22:42:42 UTC
[...]
we are silly that way we like good government ,
and since you owe us sixty billion bucks why not be nice