Florida Legislature passes GOP ban on sanctuary-city policies; DeSantis expected to sign into law
Add Reply
Up Yours Progressives
2020-06-21 08:46:21 UTC
The Florida Legislature passed a high-profile Republican bill on
Thursday banning sanctuary policies that protect undocumented
immigrants and requiring law enforcement officials to cooperate
with federal immigration authorities.

The bill passed the House on a 68-45 vote with Democrats
opposed, shortly after it cleared the Senate by a 22-18 mostly
party-line vote, as the Sarasota Herald-Tribune reported.

Gov. Ron DeSantis has supported the measure and is expected to
sign it into law.

“We are a stronger state when we protect our residents, foster
safe communities and respect the work of law enforcement at
every level,” DeSantis, a Republican, said in a statement.

The legislation would require local officials to honor U.S.
Immigration and Customs Enforcement detainers for undocumented
immigrants who are arrested or convicted of a crime, exempting
crime victims and witnesses. It would ban local governments from
enacting sanctuary policies to protect those immigrants from
deportation and require them to notify ICE when an inmate
subject to a detainer is released.

No Florida city or county currently has a sanctuary policy. But
Republicans said it would ensure respect for federal immigration
laws by preventing local and state officials from refusing to
comply. Under the bill, the governor could suspend officials who
defy immigration laws and they could be sued by the attorney
general to force compliance.

Rep. Elizabeth Fetterhoff, R-DeLand, told the Herald-Tribune:
“This bill isn’t anti-immigrant and it’s dangerously
disingenuous to suggest otherwise.”

“We are a nation of immigrants, proudly so,” Fetterhoff said.
“But we are also a nation of laws.”

The bill was one of the most hotly-contested of this legislative
session, with several versions bouncing between the House and
Senate over the past two months. One provision that was stripped
out would have subjected officials who defy immigration laws to
steep fines. Another section that was dropped would have
exempted the Department of Children and Families from its
requirements.

It sparked protests around the state and led the American Civil
Liberties Union to warn immigrants against traveling to Florida.
It also is expected to lead to lawsuits seeking to nullify it.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/florida-legislature-passes-gop-
ban-on-sanctuary-city-policies-desantis-to-sign-into-law

BiologyMajor
2020-06-21 09:09:49 UTC
nuff said
Siri Cruise