Land of Cuomo...Cuomo aide Melissa DeRosa admits they hid nursing home data so feds wouldn't find out
Add Reply
Leroy N. Soetoro
2021-02-13 03:02:12 UTC
https://nypost.com/2021/02/11/cuomo-aide-admits-they-hid-nursing-home-
data-from-feds/

Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s top aide privately apologized to Democratic lawmakers
for withholding the state’s nursing home death toll from COVID-19 —
telling them “we froze” out of fear that the true numbers would “be used
against us” by federal prosecutors, The Post has learned.

The stunning admission of a coverup was made by secretary to the governor
Melissa DeRosa during a video conference call with state Democratic
leaders in which she said the Cuomo administration had rebuffed a
legislative request for the tally in August because “right around the same
time, [then-President Donald Trump] turns this into a giant political
football,” according to an audio recording of the two-hour-plus meeting.

“He starts tweeting that we killed everyone in nursing homes,” DeRosa
said. “He starts going after [New Jersey Gov. Phil] Murphy, starts going
after [California Gov. Gavin] Newsom, starts going after [Michigan Gov.]
Gretchen Whitmer.”

In addition to attacking Cuomo’s fellow Democratic governors, DeRosa said,
Trump “directs the Department of Justice to do an investigation into us.”

“And basically, we froze,” she told the lawmakers on the call.

“Because then we were in a position where we weren’t sure if what we were
going to give to the Department of Justice, or what we give to you guys,
what we start saying, was going to be used against us while we weren’t
sure if there was going to be an investigation.”

DeRosa added: “That played a very large role into this.”

After dropping the bombshell, DeRosa asked for “a little bit of
appreciation of the context” and offered what appears to be the Cuomo
administration’s first apology for its handling of nursing homes amid the
pandemic.

But instead of a mea culpa to the grieving family members of more than
13,000 dead seniors or the critics who say the Health Department spread
COVID-19 in the care facilities with a March 25 state Health Department
directive that nursing homes admit infected patients, DeRosa tried to make
amends with the fellow Democrats for the political inconvenience it caused
them.

“So we do apologize,” she said. “I do understand the position that you
were put in. I know that it is not fair. It was not our intention to put
you in that political position with the Republicans.”

Assembly Health Committee Chairman Richard Gottfried (D-Manhattan)
immediately rejected DeRosa’s expression of remorse, according to the
recording.

“I don’t have enough time today to explain all the reasons why I don’t
give that any credit at all,” said Gottfried, one of the lawmakers who
demanded the death-toll data in August.

State Senate Aging Committee Chairwoman Rachel May (D-Syracuse) — who was
battered during her re-election bid last year over the issue of nursing
home deaths — also ripped into DeRosa, saying her former opponent had
launched another broadside earlier in the day.

“And the issue for me, the biggest issue of all is feeling like I needed
to defend — or at least not attack — an administration that was appearing
to be covering something up,” she said.

“And in a, in a pandemic, when you want the public to trust the public
health officials, and there is this clear feeling that they’re not coming,
being forthcoming with you, that is really hard and it remains difficult.”

Assemblyman Ron Kim (D-Queens), who took part in the call, told The Post
on Thursday that DeRosa’s remarks sounded “like they admitted that they
were trying to dodge having any incriminating evidence that might put the
administration or the [Health Department] in further trouble with the
Department of Justice.”

“That’s how I understand their reasoning of why they were unable to share,
in real time, the data,” Kim said.

“They had to first make sure that the state was protected against federal
investigation.”

Kim, whose uncle is presumed to have died of COVID-19 in a nursing home in
April, also said he wasn’t satisfied with DeRosa’s apology.

“It’s not enough how contrite they are with us,” he said. “They need to
show that to the public and the families — and they haven’t done that.”

In addition to stonewalling lawmakers on the total number of nursing home
residents killed by COVID-19, Cuomo’s administration refused requests from
the news media — including The Post — and fought a Freedom of Information
lawsuit filed by the Empire Center on Public Policy.

Instead, it only disclosed data on the numbers of residents who died in
their nursing homes.

But after state Attorney General Letitia James last month released a
damning report that estimated the deaths of nursing home residents in
hospitals would boost the grim tally by more than 50 percent, Health
Commissioner Howard Zucker finally released figures showing the combined
total was 12,743 as of Jan. 19.

Just a day earlier, the DOH was only publicly acknowledging 8,711 deaths
in nursing homes.

In a Wednesday letter to lawmakers, Zucker said the total number of
nursing home residents killed by COVID-19 had increased to 13,297. That
number jumps to 15,049 when assisted living/adult care facilities are
factored in.

The controversy generated by James’ report led to an infamous news
conference at which Cuomo callously dismissed the matter of where nursing
home fatalities actually took place.

“Who cares [if they] died in the hospital, died in a nursing home? They
died,” he said.

During Wednesday’s conference call, DeRosa said it appeared the DOJ was no
longer focused on New York’s nursing home deaths.

“All signs point to they are not looking at this, they’ve dropped it,” she
said.

“They never formally opened an investigation. They sent a letter asking a
number of questions and then we satisfied those questions and it appears
that they’re gone.”

In a prepared statement, Cuomo spokesman Rich Azzopardi said, “We
explained that the Trump administration was in the midst of a politically
motivated effort to blame democratic states for COVID deaths and that we
were cooperating with Federal document productions and that was the
priority and now that it is over we can address the state legislature.”

“That said, we were working simultaneously to complete the audit of
information they were asking for,” he added.

The DOJ declined to comment.
--
"LOCKDOWN", left-wing COVID fearmongering. 95% of COVID infections
recover with no after effects.

ballots. Report voter fraud: ***@mail.house.gov

fiasco, President Trump.

queer liberal democrat donors.

Leroy N. Soetoro
2021-02-14 18:59:08 UTC
https://nypost.com/2021/02/09/40-percent-of-new-yorkers-would-vote-to-
recall-cuomo-poll/

A large percentage of New Yorkers said they would support a recall
procedure to boot Gov. Andrew Cuomo from office before his term expires in
November 2022, a new poll reveals.

Respondents in the Zogby survey were asked if they supported such a
process — which is not allowed in New York but is in place in states
including California and Wisconsin — that allows residents to petition for
an early recall election before an elected official’s term is completed.

“If it were possible, would you favor or oppose the recall of Gov. Andrew
Cuomo,” the poll asked 810 likely voters.

Forty percent of respondents said they would support a recall election to
remove Cuomo, while 42 percent said they were opposed — with the rest
undecided.

There’s a serious petitioning campaign to hold a recall election to remove
Calfornia’s Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom.

Voters were asked if Cuomo, a Democrat who has been in office for a decade
and said he would run for a fourth-term, deserves re-election.

Only 41 percent of voters said he deserves another term while 47 percent
said it was time to elect someone new as governor, with the remainder
undecided.

But while voters may be tiring of Cuomo, they see him as ol’ reliable when
compared to would-be challengers.

Cuomo leads upstate Republican Rep. Elise Stefanik 49 percent to 37
percent among voters in a hypothetical match-up. The pro-Trump
congresswoman has called Cuomo the worst governor in America.

In a hypothetical Democratic gubernatorial primary, Cuomo would trounce
state Attorney General Letitia James 65 percent to 22 percent and lefty
millennial firebrand Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez 67 percent to 24
percent.

Cuomo, who has $16 million in his campaign kitty, has strong approval
ratings for a three-term incumbent.

Sixty-one percent of responders view him favorably — the highest rating
among all of New York’s top politicians — while 37 percent viewed him
unfavorably.

Fifty five percent of voters gave him a good job performance and 56
percent backed his overall response to the coronavirus pandemic.

Voters were asked: “In your opinion is Governor Andrew Cuomo responsible
for the thousands of deaths in New York state that needlessly occurred as
a result of his decision last March to require nursing homes to accept
patients released from hospitals, despite them being COVID-positive and
despite testing deficiencies for both residents and staff?”

His handling of nursing homes during the pandemic is his achilles heel.

Nearly half of respondents — 48 percent — blamed Cuomo, while only 32
percent said he wasn’t at fault with the rest undecided.

Republicans insist Cuomo is vulnerable, when looking at how many voters
said they want a new face as governor.

“It is a political nightmare for Gov. Cuomo that only 41% of New Yorkers
would vote to re-elect him with 47% responding that they want someone
new,” said Stefanik senior adviser Alex de Grasse.

Cuomo spokesman Rich Azzopardi fired back, calling Stefanik a “Qanon Trump
Puppet” who voted against stripping GOP South Carolina Rep. Marjorie
Taylor Greene, who has in the past indicated support for QAnon and 9/11
conspiracy theories, of committee assignments over a series of incendiary
comments.

Noting that Stefanik voted against the certification of President Biden’s
election after the pro-Trump mob stormed the Capitol building last month,
Azzopardi said, “After seeing those violent videos replayed today at
Trump’s impeachment, she is clearly running scared and doing anything to
change the subject.”

He offered no comment about the large desire among those surveyed to
recall his boss.

The Zogby survey queried 810 likely voters between Feb. 2-5 and has a 3.4
percent point margin of error.