"Baby, it's cold outside"
2018-12-05 14:33:38 UTC
There's a big brouhaha going on in the Bay Area
that the words to this song are "immoral", and a
lot of radio stations are not playing it. There's a
new "fascism" raising its ugly head IMV, and
unfortunately this one has its roots at least partly
in what passes for "liberalism".
islander
2018-12-05 15:36:02 UTC
There's a big brouhaha going on in the Bay Area
that the words to this song are "immoral", and a
lot of radio stations are not playing it. There's a
new "fascism" raising its ugly head IMV, and
unfortunately this one has its roots at least partly
in what passes for "liberalism".
Not just the Bay Area. And, this is not fascism or liberalism. It is a
product of the #MeToo movement and is probably a result of women's anger
about being treated as sexual objects against their will. I have no
problem with radio stations deciding to not play the song, long a
favorite for the winter months. The radio stations respond to what they
think the public wants. Personally, I think it is silly, but I am a man
and would probably think differently if I had lived my life having to
deal with stronger individuals who wanted to abuse me sexually. The
bottom line is that when a woman says "no" that should be respected, no
matter how driven the man is. Recognizing the historical context of the
song, the woman was definitely at the mercy of the man and that has to
change.
rumpelstiltskin
2018-12-05 16:47:37 UTC
[...]
I hope Mozart's "Cosi Fan Tutte" won't be next,
though it already had fallen out of favour (according
to Wikipedia) in the 19th and early 20th centuries,
for similar reasons: see "performance history" at:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cos%C3%AC_fan_tutte
El Castor
2018-12-05 19:59:52 UTC
[...]
I'll believe that when women quit plucking their eyebrows and the
endless makeup counters at Macys disappear. Sorry, but women are not
just men with tits and a vagina. And this crap is part of liberalism,
just as are the Brown Shirts of Antifa and open borders.
mg
2018-12-05 17:15:39 UTC
There's a big brouhaha going on in the Bay Area
that the words to this song are "immoral", and a
lot of radio stations are not playing it. There's a
new "fascism" raising its ugly head IMV, and
unfortunately this one has its roots at least partly
in what passes for "liberalism".
Excerpt from an article:

"Following the lead of several other radio stations in the United
States and Canada, Bay Area radio station KOIT said it was banning the
holiday staple "Baby, It's Cold Outside," CBS station KPIX reports.
Many listeners have said the song heard on countless holiday playlists
is inappropriate in the #MeToo era – but others are outraged the
classic tune has been taken off the air.

Penned by "Guys and Dolls" writer Frank Loesser in 1944, the song's
lyrics describe a woman trying extricate herself from a date and
saying "no, no, no," while a man insists that she stays as he moves in
closer, pours her more alcohol, and warns about the weather outside.
Critics of the song say the lyrics promote date rape.

"I made the decision, it's off for now," Brian Figula, program manager
at KOIT radio told KPIX, adding that he is considering leaving the
ultimate decision up to the people.

Since Figula announced the decision, the station has received many
angry emails and social media posts from people upset with the
decision, accusing the station of political correctness.

"They're upset!" said KOIT radio DJ Freska Griarte who has heard from
lots of listeners from phone calls and social media posts.

"They're like, 'why are you guys doing this? What is going on? It's
just a song. While for some people, it means something more," Griarte
said.

"I could definitely see where it's a little uncomfortable when you
think about the lyrics being said," said Genevieve Ellison of San
Francisco. "But then so are most of the songs on the radio today,
right?"

The station launched a poll on their website on Tuesday. Listeners can
weigh in on whether or not to bring the song back through this coming
weekend. KOIT will announce the results of the poll on Monday,
December 10th at 7:20 a.m.

An informal poll on CBS New York shows a majority of people think the
song should not be banned from the airwaves.

Meanwhile, radio stations in Cleveland and Denver have banned the song
for the holiday season. . . . ."
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/baby-its-cold-outside-backlash-as-more-radio-stations-ban-song-over-lyrics-amid-metoo-movement/

Bing Crosby and Doris Day
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=baby+its+cold+outside+bing+crosby&view=detail&mid=2935AFF89D2739AF47CD2935AFF89D2739AF47CD&FORM=VIRE

Dean Martin
https://www.bing.com/search?q=baby+its+cold+outside+dean+martin&qs=n&form=QBRE&sp=-1&pq=baby+its+cold+outside+dean+martin&sc=8-33&sk=&cvid=299BEEB7731F4B8AA20B3B18E54A6DB6

Neptune's Daughter (1949) - Esther Williams
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=baby+its+cold+outside+youtube&qs=n&sp=-1&pq=baby+its+cold+outside+youtube&sc=8-29&sk=&cvid=2AF752CA3E8F43849AFB7BA94023B685&ru=%2fsearch%3fq%3dbaby%2bits%2bcold%2boutside%2byoutube%26qs%3dn%26form%3dQBRE%26sp%3d-1%26pq%3dbaby%2bits%2bcold%2boutside%2byoutube%26sc%3d8-29%26sk%3d%26cvid%3d2AF752CA3E8F43849AFB7BA94023B685&view=detail&mmscn=vwrc&mid=AEDFB2CC616FA234A106AEDFB2CC616FA234A106&FORM=WRVORC
rumpelstiltskin
2018-12-05 21:36:35 UTC
[...]
Those who want the song banned do have a point, but not enough
of one IMV. The dispute does put program managers in a tough
position. Whichever way they go, some people are going to be
outraged.
mg
2018-12-05 23:26:50 UTC
[...]
As I recall, women are probably the only ones that are making any
progress in today's economy. So, good for them. As for gaining sexual
equality, though, in a way, I don't think they ever will, but in
another way, I think they've always had it. It's just that some women
know how to handle men and some don't.
w***@gmail.com
2018-12-05 23:38:01 UTC
[...]
In the media, they said the man and his wife use to go to parties and both of them would sing it!
w***@gmail.com
2018-12-05 23:13:58 UTC
[...]
The Denver station had a poll on their web site! The result was that the song is back on! Regarding the allegations that the me too movement is behind this, they should not be so sensitive and allow the past to present itself in all its bad moments just like the Indian ancestors of the Sand Creek massacre don't want sites or monuments changed just to show how bad it was!:

https://www.westword.com/news/remembering-the-sand-creek-massacre-the-past-is-always-with-us-7387126