Bad News For Dirty Old Men
2018-06-13 13:19:41 UTC
Is the next step to just compare SAT scores and do the whole thing by
mail?

-----------

"Miss America Pageant Ends Swimsuit Competition

06/05/2018 07:56 am ET

The Miss America pageant will no longer feature a swimsuit
competition, ending a tradition widely criticized as misogynistic as
the event tries to move toward more inclusion.

“We will no longer judge our candidates on their outward physical
appearance. That’s huge. And that means we will no longer have a
swimsuit competition,” Gretchen Carlson, the new chair of the Miss
America Organization, announced Tuesday on ABC’s “Good Morning
America.”

Miss America, Carlson added, will be a “competition,” not a “pageant,”
and will strive to change its public perception by emphasizing its
role in providing scholarships to young women and honoring talent.

“We’ve heard from a lot of young women who say, ‘We’d love to be a
part of your program but we don’t want to be out there in high heels
and a swimsuit,’” Carlson said. “So guess what? You don’t have to do
that anymore. You’re welcome. Please come join us.”

Carlson, a former Fox News host who won Miss America in 1989, has
become a prominent advocate against sexual harassment since settling a
lawsuit against executives at the cable news giant in 2016.

Miss America has undergone a major overhaul in response to the Me Too
movement. Carlson became chair after emails uncovered last year
revealed sexist and misogynistic comments among its leadership. The
competition’s leadership teams now all are headed by women, including
former Miss America winners.

The organization also will overhaul the evening gown portion of the
contest, according to Carlson.

Neither the swimsuit nor the gown competitions were the highest-rated
parts of the program, Carlson said, and the changes got little
resistance within the organization.

Miss America, she added, hopes “to be open, transparent, inclusive to
women who may not have felt comfortable participating in our program
before.”

The changes will go into effect for this year’s contest, scheduled for
Sept. 9.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/miss-america-ending-swimsuit-competition_us_5b167608e4b093ac33a1d36e

----------------------------------
The power of Political Correctness
is demonstrated by the entire
political establishment coming to
the defense of open immigration
from Muslim-majority nations.
-- Tom Tancredo
rumpelstiltskin
2018-06-13 14:35:02 UTC
[...]
If that's the way it's going to be, why have a Miss America
contest at all? Nobody will be interested in it.
mg
2018-06-13 16:11:12 UTC
[...]
Speaking for myself, I have absolutely no interest in listening to a
fully-clothed, young, female airhead, talking about world peace and
orphanages. :-)

(Now I suppose I should get prepared for attacks by the
soc.retirement, political-correctness Army) :-)
Emily
2018-06-13 16:54:46 UTC
If that's the way it's going to be, why have a Miss America
contest at all? Nobody will be interested in it.
Speaking for myself, I have absolutely no interest in listening to a
fully-clothed, young, female airhead, talking about world peace and
orphanages. :-)
(Now I suppose I should get prepared for attacks by the
soc.retirement, political-correctness Army) :-)
I don't think I've watched more than ten minutes of any Miss America
or other similar contest, but I did see one contestant make the most
insane, garbled little speech about world peace or something like
that, so it might draw people just looking for a good laugh -- or to
see just how badly our educational system is doing.
mg
2018-06-14 17:14:19 UTC
Post by Emily
If that's the way it's going to be, why have a Miss America
contest at all? Nobody will be interested in it.
Speaking for myself, I have absolutely no interest in listening to a
fully-clothed, young, female airhead, talking about world peace and
orphanages. :-)
(Now I suppose I should get prepared for attacks by the
soc.retirement, political-correctness Army) :-)
I don't think I've watched more than ten minutes of any Miss America
or other similar contest, but I did see one contestant make the most
insane, garbled little speech about world peace or something like
that, so it might draw people just looking for a good laugh -- or to
see just how badly our educational system is doing.
Come to think of it, I don't think that I've ever watched more than
about ten minutes of any Miss America contest, either. Maybe that's
the problem; maybe they're trying to figure out a way to breathe some
life into the show, but times change, and perhaps the real problem is
that people just are not interested in that sort of thing, anymore.
b***@gmail.com
When I was 16, I was in love with a pretty 15 year old girl at the Episcopal church. She saved me a seat on Sundays and I went with her to a few school dances. Then one summer day we had a beach party and wore swimming suits. My girl friend didn't look as pretty in a swim suit as she was fully clothed so I lost interest and took her 14 year old sister to the Prom. She was prettier than her sister and several guys came around and asked permission to dance with her. I forget what she looked like in a swimming suit, but she sure was pretty.
mg
2018-06-13 16:01:59 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
Post by mg
[...]
One the one hand, I suppose that I wouldn't want my girl friend
parading around on TV in a bikini competing in some sort of pageant,
or contest. On the other hand, however, I wouldn't mind watching your
girlfriend parading around on TV in a bikini. :-)