What's happened to this newsgroup
Bob Thomas
2004-07-13 20:18:29 UTC
I've been off line for a bit and then not paying too much attention. This
morning I accessed several threads and, it seems to me, that about two thirds
of them are crossposted to a bunch of ngs and authored by whack jobs from both
end of the poltical spectrum.

Ahhh, election year again.

;O(

bob
Islander
2004-07-13 20:24:43 UTC
Post by Bob Thomas
I've been off line for a bit and then not paying too much attention. This
morning I accessed several threads and, it seems to me, that about two thirds
of them are crossposted to a bunch of ngs and authored by whack jobs from both
end of the poltical spectrum.
Ahhh, election year again.
;O(
bob
I agree! Between the cross posting and the alias switching, keeping my
filters up to date is daunting. Hopefully it will return to normal
after Nov.
Rita
2004-07-13 20:38:37 UTC
Post by Islander
Post by Bob Thomas
I've been off line for a bit and then not paying too much attention. This
morning I accessed several threads and, it seems to me, that about two thirds
of them are crossposted to a bunch of ngs and authored by whack jobs from both
end of the poltical spectrum.
Ahhh, election year again.
;O(
bob
I agree! Between the cross posting and the alias switching, keeping my
filters up to date is daunting. Hopefully it will return to normal
after Nov.
I have a little free program that deletes all cross-posts from my
news reader.

http://www.netaxs.com/home/v/nfilter/

Nfilter is a supplemental filtering program to your existing newsreader. It is
designed to run transparently alongside any client for Windows such as Outlook
Express, Agent, Netscape, etc. It listens to port 119, same as your newsreader.
Just install it and run it along with Agent, or Outlook Express or whatever.

In the Edit/filter window, simply enter:

* drop xref:*:*:*

and all cross posts will be filtered out.

In the View/dropped posts window you can see all the posts
that have been filtered out.

Saves me much agitation and pulling out of hair -- oh, no, not
another **^^&* cross poster!
Islander
2004-07-13 20:57:05 UTC
Post by Rita
Post by Islander
Post by Bob Thomas
[...]
Thanks, I'll give it a try once my wife gets her computer back from the
shop. I don't dare change anything on this machine as long as we are
sharing it!
El Castor
2004-07-13 23:51:02 UTC
Post by Rita
Post by Islander
Post by Bob Thomas
[...]
Let me second that. Rita put me onto NFilter (aka NewsProxy) and I
have not had to look at a single cross post from that day forward. I
just popped it into my Startup folder and it runs when I boot up.
ElaineJ
2004-07-14 12:03:29 UTC
Post by Rita
I have a little free program that deletes all cross-posts from my
news reader.
http://www.netaxs.com/home/v/nfilter/
Nfilter is a supplemental filtering program to your existing newsreader. It is
designed to run transparently alongside any client for Windows such as Outlook
Express, Agent, Netscape, etc. It listens to port 119, same as your newsreader.
Just install it and run it along with Agent, or Outlook Express or whatever.
* drop xref:*:*:*
and all cross posts will be filtered out.
In the View/dropped posts window you can see all the posts
that have been filtered out.
'Preciate it. Will go and do just that.
I kinda wish you had cross-posted this particular message.
Rita
2004-07-14 12:50:37 UTC
Post by ElaineJ
Post by Rita
I have a little free program that deletes all cross-posts from my
news reader.
http://www.netaxs.com/home/v/nfilter/
Nfilter is a supplemental filtering program to your existing newsreader. It is
designed to run transparently alongside any client for Windows such as Outlook
Express, Agent, Netscape, etc. It listens to port 119, same as your newsreader.
Just install it and run it along with Agent, or Outlook Express or whatever.
* drop xref:*:*:*
and all cross posts will be filtered out.
In the View/dropped posts window you can see all the posts
that have been filtered out.
'Preciate it. Will go and do just that.
I kinda wish you had cross-posted this particular message.
Although I don't see the cross posted messages anymore, I do
know how many there are. My newsreader, Agent, will report when
I log in something like soc.retirement 79 posts, but when the
download is complete, only perhaps 40 show up on my screen. That
is because Nfilter has intercepted and deleted them.

Had I cross posted the message it would have in no way discouraged
the cross posters. They are an arrogant crew, who think just
spewing their silly messages into several groups will gain them a
larger audience. Sensible people come to hate them.

By the way, William Boyd is a dedicated cross poster. The stupid bugger has
posted to 8 newsgroups. Luckily I no longer see his cross posts.

From: William Boyd <***@cowboy.net>
Newsgroups:
alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.politics.bush,alt.politics.liberalism,talk.politics.misc,soc.retirement,soc.veterans,alt.politics.democrats.d
Subject: Re: Bush to delay Election Day because of terror alert - Newsweek
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 13:01:28 -0500
Post by Rita
Post by ElaineJ
Post by Rita
[...]
What is your reasons for singling out this person?
There are several regulars here that regularly cross post.
As a matter a fact ElaineJ, Jim and James A. Chamblee are guilty of cross posting in the
thread below.
Perhaps the most flagrant regular cross poster would have to be Chamblee with 10 cross
posts in the last two days. Lucky you no longer see his cross posts.
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 13:01:28 -0500
Bill wrote:

---[clip]---
Post by Bill
What is your reasons for singling out this person?
There are several regulars here that regularly cross post.
As a matter a fact ElaineJ, Jim and James A. Chamblee are guilty of
cross posting in the thread below.
Perhaps the most flagrant regular cross poster would have to be Chamblee
with 10 cross posts in the last two days. Lucky you no longer see his
cross posts.
There are at least two separate issues here, both involving crude
attempts to "push" material into the unsuspecting news reader:

1. Cross posting: This was intended to allow discussion on a topic
between groups, but has come to be used as a "push" technique to impose
material on as large a population as possible. The real culprits here
are the ones initiating the thread and recently grub of left wing
notoriety has been the most abusive. If someone wants to respond to a
cross posted thread (not normally advisable) it perpetuates the problem.
Jerry has been responding to a number of these lately and he certainly
has the right to do so, but it just perpetuates the problem IMV. It is
difficult to prune the list if you do not recognize the sender as a
regular to soc.retirement. It is silly to prune to soc.retirement when
the person that you wanted to reply to is not a regular reader. Of
course, it is easy to not pay attention and simply reply to a post, not
realizing that it is cross posted. I have not noticed that ElaineJ, Jim
or James A. Chamblee have initiated a cross posted thread and I suspect
that the 10 cross posts that you cited above are replies. Of course,
most of the cross posts that Rita has attributed to William Boyd are
also replies and I, for one, would be willing to give him the benefit of
the doubt in that regard. He is guilty of much worse behavior.

2. Name changing: Changing of aliases is a second approach that a few
people use in order to "push" material past filters. There are two in
this ng that do this regularly--perhaps there are more, but two are the
worst offenders as far as I have been able to determine. Bob Wood of
Stanton, CA (at least I think that is his real name) is the most
notorious and also the most dedicated using many aliases and several
machines. I think that I have even seen cases where he has impersonated
other name changers, and he sometimes carries on conversations between
his aliases just to keep us guessing. He also uses a number of tricks
to avoid identification or at least make it difficult. You might
recognize him as Boog, Sordo, Stanley, Gabe, various Bobs, but not the
Ol' Original, and many others. To him, this is a game and he enjoys
trying to fool the rest of us. The second name changer is William Boyd
or Troy (or whatever his real name is). His attempts are much more
crude and he was identified last May as the originator of the Ruth Downs
posts, primarily because he used an ancient piece of software. He has
learned a bit over the intervening months and has responded to criticism
by changing his manner of posting and even using other machines.
Generally if you see a name that you don't recognize and the post has a
right wing slant, it is probably one of these two using yet another alias.

Why do they do this? Who knows for sure! Perhaps a desperate need to
have their often profane and generally simplistic dogma read by others.
Whatever their motive, it is really pretty stupid since most readers
of usenet resent it in the same way that we resent telemarketers, spam
and junk mail. In the end, I believe that it damages their cause, but I
doubt that any logic will dissuade them from continuing.
Sordo
2004-07-14 18:49:46 UTC
Post by Islander
---[clip]---
Post by Bill
[...]
How I love it when you snivel and whine, Islander, it makes
it all worthwhile to know how you are so affected. Thanks
Bill
2004-07-17 22:12:36 UTC
If William is as you say the originator I have compliment him for bring Ruth's posts here.
I very much enjoy reading her material.
Jim
2004-07-17 22:19:21 UTC
Post by Bill
If William is as you say the originator I have compliment him for bring Ruth's posts here.
I very much enjoy reading her material.
Me too. I come for information I would not see elsewhere and Ruth
delivers. Kudos to her. And to hell with those who want to stifle
freedom of speech. They have Chamblee and if he as prolific as he
used to be; he posts more then anyone else.
Patscga
2004-07-13 20:34:20 UTC
Post by Bob Thomas
I've been off line for a bit and then not paying too much attention. This
morning I accessed several threads and, it seems to me, that about two thirds
of them are crossposted to a bunch of ngs and authored by whack jobs from
both end of the poltical spectrum.
Ahhh, election year again.

It was the same LAST year.

Pat
Olly Mensch
2004-07-13 20:32:38 UTC
Bob - in response to your observation, let me share my own reaction. I
am getting thoroughly disillusioned with most newsgroups. I have just
left a group (alt,sixtyplus) which had,among its members, such viciously
anti-semitic postgers, and strongly anti-Israel posters (but with faulty
information and claims about Israel) that I find it not worth getting
upset about, and left. ---senior social issues has also deteriorated,
and posts mostly nonsense, plus some hate mail. And here, I have to
wade through literally hundreds of posts - totally unknown names - in
order to get to the "precious few' who remain, with some bit of
refinement, and good information, and able to discuss issues without
rancor. But one can count them on one hand.
Bob - if you should know of any other group, which has those qualities
to offer, I would love your sharing that with me, since I AM looking.
Olly
Ron G
2004-07-15 00:53:19 UTC
Olly Mensch <***@webtv.net> wrote in message news:29836-40F446E6-***@storefull-3252.bay.webtv.net...
senior social issues has also deteriorated, > and posts mostly nonsense,
plus some hate mail.

Could it be because you **personally**, have only posted **anything**
(nothing) about senior social issues?

You only have (your) personal political (foreign) agenda-----------

Have a great day----
Ron

---
Nixon, D
2004-07-13 22:19:58 UTC
Post by Bob Thomas
I've been off line for a bit and then not paying too much attention. This
morning I accessed several threads and, it seems to me, that about two thirds
of them are crossposted to a bunch of ngs and authored by whack jobs from both
end of the poltical spectrum.
Ahhh, election year again.
;O(
bob

Regarding "whack jobs", I think Chambless is using several anonymous
addresses.
Many times he even replies to his own posts !!!

MdDave
Thumper
2004-07-13 23:01:37 UTC
Post by Bob Thomas
end of the poltical spectrum.
Ahhh, election year again.
;O(
bob
Regarding "whack jobs", I think Chambless is using several anonymous
addresses.
Many times he even replies to his own posts !!!
MdDave
Prove it. I have never seen him to be afraid to use his own name.
Thumper
Nixon, D
2004-07-14 12:00:35 UTC
Post by Thumper
Post by Thumper
Post by Bob Thomas
end of the poltical spectrum.
Ahhh, election year again.
;O(
bob
Regarding "whack jobs", I think Chambless is using several anonymous
addresses.
Many times he even replies to his own posts !!!
MdDave
Prove it. I have never seen him to be afraid to use his own name.
Thumper

You mean like me?

Is "Thumper your first or last name?

McDave in Maryland "A Faire Lande of Pleasant Living"
Thumper
2004-07-14 13:00:42 UTC
Post by Nixon, D
Post by Thumper
Post by Thumper
Post by Bob Thomas
of them are crossposted to a bunch of ngs and authored by whack jobs
from
Post by Thumper
Post by Bob Thomas
both
Post by Bob Thomas
end of the poltical spectrum.
Ahhh, election year again.
;O(
bob
Regarding "whack jobs", I think Chambless is using several anonymous
addresses.
Many times he even replies to his own posts !!!
MdDave
Prove it. I have never seen him to be afraid to use his own name.
Thumper
You mean like me?
Is "Thumper your first or last name?
The elite only need one name.
Thumper
Nixon, D
You mean like; "McDave"?
ElaineJ
Snicker. Jealous of Chamblee's appreciative audience, eh?
Nixon, D
2004-07-14 12:13:54 UTC
Post by Nixon, D
Regarding "whack jobs", I think Chambless is using several anonymous
addresses. Many times he even replies to his own posts !!!
MdDave
Snicker. Jealous of Chamblee's appreciative audience, eh?
Er.. NO. But, I'm curious; does this comment mean that you can be counted
in that dubious number? <chuckle>

McDave
ElaineJ
2004-07-14 23:40:27 UTC
Post by Nixon, D
Post by ElaineJ
Snicker. Jealous of Chamblee's appreciative audience, eh?
Er.. NO. But, I'm curious; does this comment mean that you can be counted
in that dubious number? <chuckle>
McDave
You hadn't noticed? Of course I'm very grateful that Jim Chamblee
spends some of his precious time reading extensively in news sites and
then passing along the reports he think his 'constituency' need to
see. I also surf some news sites, but as you know, the net is the
black hole of time. So anyone trying to get any kind of handle on
current affairs needs all the help s/he can get.
Remember the comparison of curiosity to 'the elephant's child'?
The more you feed both curiosity and baby elephants, the bigger they
get - like the net itself, except elephants know when to stop growing,
curiosity doesn't, and the net can't.
Harry Thompson
Bravo, Elaine! Well said.
Nixon, D
2004-07-15 00:04:51 UTC
Post by ElaineJ
You hadn't noticed? Of course I'm very grateful that Jim Chamblee
spends some of his precious time reading extensively in news sites and
then passing along the reports he think his 'constituency' need to
see. I also surf some news sites, but as you know, the net is the
black hole of time. So anyone trying to get any kind of handle on
current affairs needs all the help s/he can get.
Remember the comparison of curiosity to 'the elephant's child'?
The more you feed both curiosity and baby elephants, the bigger they
get - like the net itself, except elephants know when to stop growing,
curiosity doesn't, and the net can't.

Nice use of metaphors. I'm distressed that a person as intelligent as
you, apparently, are would read any of Chambless's original postings but
newsgroup conversations can lead to disgraceful exchanges and bizarre
relationships.

McDave
William Boyd
2004-07-15 02:51:36 UTC
The problem I had with James Chamblee's was his reading of articles and
displays his inability to understand what he read leading to his slanted
rendition of an event. BILL
Jim
2004-07-14 12:41:55 UTC
Post by Nixon, D
Regarding "whack jobs", I think Chambless is using several anonymous
addresses. Many times he even replies to his own posts !!!
MdDave
Snicker. Jealous of Chamblee's appreciative audience, eh?
Appreciative? How do you demonstrate that audience? I don't even see
a comment on his posts any more. It is only when Maureen was around
parroting some of his work that I saw him daily. He is invisible to
me and that is wonderful.
Thumper
2004-07-14 13:02:29 UTC
Post by Jim
Post by Nixon, D
Regarding "whack jobs", I think Chambless is using several anonymous
addresses. Many times he even replies to his own posts !!!
MdDave
Snicker. Jealous of Chamblee's appreciative audience, eh?
Appreciative? How do you demonstrate that audience? I don't even see
a comment on his posts any more. It is only when Maureen was around
parroting some of his work that I saw him daily. He is invisible to
me and that is wonderful.
That's because you righties cannot refute most of what he says and the
rest of us don't need to pat each other on the back on every post.
Thumper
Ward Stewart
2004-07-15 09:48:48 UTC
Post by Thumper
Post by Jim
Post by Nixon, D
Regarding "whack jobs", I think Chambless is using several anonymous
addresses. Many times he even replies to his own posts !!!
MdDave
Snicker. Jealous of Chamblee's appreciative audience, eh?
Appreciative? How do you demonstrate that audience? I don't even see
a comment on his posts any more. It is only when Maureen was around
parroting some of his work that I saw him daily. He is invisible to
me and that is wonderful.
That's because you righties cannot refute most of what he says and the
rest of us don't need to pat each other on the back on every post.
Thumper
Does the term "running scared" have any relevance to the abusurdities
of the right wing nutsies?

ward
"I am angry that so many of the sons of the powerful
and well-placed... managed to wangle slots in Reserve
and National Guard units...Of the many tragedies of
Vietnam, this raw class discrimination strikes me as
the most damaging to the ideal that all Americans are
created equal and owe equal allegiance to their
country."
Colin Powell’s autobiography,
My American Journey, p. 14
ElaineJ
2004-07-14 23:48:21 UTC
He is invisible to me and that is wonderful.
Likewise.
William Boyd
2004-07-15 02:54:23 UTC
SOUNDS LIKE A COUPLE OF LIBERAL LIMPS. CHEERS BILL
Likewise.
Red Bird
2004-07-15 04:03:25 UTC
? ? ?
William Boyd
2004-07-15 03:28:04 UTC
Jim wrote:
I'll clarify my LIBERAL LIMPS note it was directed to Thumper and
ElaineJ,
not you Jim. CHEERS BILL
William Boyd
2004-07-15 02:43:48 UTC
Post by Nixon, D
Regarding "whack jobs", I think Chambless is using several anonymous
addresses. Many times he even replies to his own posts !!!
MdDave
Snicker. Jealous of Chamblee's appreciative audience, eh?
I'm so jealous I keep him in my out house all the time, I'll bet he
wonders why I don't respond to him when he replays to me, I only detect
it when some one else posts to me after he has added his two ignorant
cents worth to the thread.
William Boyd
2004-07-14 15:37:08 UTC
Well Bob you really want to know what is happening to this NG, if you
can remember back to some of the reasons that you decided to spend your
leisure time else where, you might recall things like this. Rita has
identified me as a dedicated cross poster, (this thread 7:50AM). She
brought this up for vindictive reasons. I refuse to listen to her better
than thou attitude and it gets her goat. First off she thinks she can
read headers and she can't and I tell her so. She can't even read
threads let alone headers. Example; I replied to a post just as 27 other
people did
in the news group, others cleaned the cross post (eliminate all
additional
News groups.) But I and the other 27 people did not. Now in her eyes I
am a dedicated cross poster. I can't help that her blatant ignorance
bothers me, and would not mention it if she doesn't finger people for
things that they are not guilty of. I am guilty of cross posting to
several news groups back when President Reagan passed away, and drew a
lot of flack from Liberal Hate Crew, so I refrain from cross posting,
that is initiating a post to several news groups, I do not feel that
replying is cross posting, many people don't even notice that there are
more than their own NG being replied to.
So what has happened to this ng, Rita as well as the election year. Her
and a couple others is my reason for spending more of my time else
where.
Even at that she is so vindictive, she Googled to find out where I was
posting at. BILL
bob
Rita
2004-07-14 16:03:04 UTC
Post by William Boyd
[...]
Why are you whining, William? Ashamed of your cross posting? Just
want folks in this newsgroup to know why we have so many cross posts.
Here are a couple more to your credit. Seems to me you make quite a
habit of this. Is checking up on your posting habits a federal crime?
Better write to Ashcroft and tell him to ban Google Groups.

I'm an Equal Opportunity hater of cross posters and if I find more
soc.retirement regulars who violate, I'll post their stuff also.
We all should do this.

From: William Boyd <***@cowboy.net>
Newsgroups:
alt.war.vietnam,soc.retirement,soc.veterins,alt.vietnam.veterins,soc.senior-issues
Subject: Good Thing We Like Beer
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 08:25:12 -0500

From: William Boyd <***@cowboy.net>
Newsgroups: soc.retirement,alt.war.vietnam,soc.veterins
Subject: Re: 66 raygon ronny fuckups
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 10:10:22 -0500

From: William Boyd <***@cowboy.net>
Newsgroups: soc.retirement,alt.war.vietnam,soc.veterins
Subject: Re: axperronne honors me too
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 10:09:28 -0500
Sordo
2004-07-14 16:20:08 UTC
Post by Rita
I'm an Equal Opportunity hater of cross posters and if I find more
soc.retirement regulars who violate, I'll post their stuff also.
We all should do this.
Crossposting is perfectly legitimate and in compliance with every
TOS I've ever seen. Because you don't agree is not a cause for
alarm. You may view yourself as the Mother of the newsgroup,
however others have different opinions.

For your edification:
http://www.dickalba.demon.co.uk/usenet/guide/faq_cros.html

The Absolute Beginner's Guide to Usenet

Absolute Beginner's Frequently Asked Questions

9. What is Crossposting and should I do it?

Crossposting is posting a message with more than one group in the
Newsgroups header. That is, posting the same message to several groups
at once rather than posting it individually to each of those groups.

But someone told me it's a bad thing to do!

Whoever told you that was talking nonsense. If you have a message
which you think might be of relevance to the readers of more than one
group then it is much better to crosspost than to post the same
message individually to each.

Example: I want to tell readers of uk.music.folk about this wonderful
new book of Celtic songs that has just been published. But the readers
of rec.music.celtic and rec.music.folk will also be interested in this
- so I crosspost it to all three.

But why is it better to crosspost than post individual messages?

Because it saves bandwidth and storage space. When an article is
crossposted, it is only retrieved and stored once. If you subscribe to
both uk.music.folk and rec.music.celtic you would only retrieve my
message once (assuming you're using a proper newsreader). The message
will then appear in whichever group you read first and, when you've
read it, it will be marked read in both groups. Had I posted it
individually, you would have had to retrieve it twice and it would be
stored twice on your drive. If you read it in uk.music.folk then began
to read rec.music.celtic, you would find exactly the same article
there but marked unread - you would have to start reading it to know
it was a duplicate. Waste of bandwidth, waste of storage space, waste
of your time and effort.

But if you are crossposting, make sure it is relevant to ALL the
groups you crosspost. And if you are replying to a crossposted
article, have a think about whether your reply needs to go to all of
them - if it doesn't, then remove the unnecessary groups.
El Castor
2004-07-14 17:59:31 UTC
Post by Sordo
Post by Rita
[...]
Sordo, this is perhaps the only time I have ever disagreed with you.
You are the man -- but not in this one teensy weensy case. I'm not
ashamed to admit that I have a pathological hatred of cross-poster.
They are the smelly scum of the earth, the lowest of the low, the
rottenest of the rotten, and not fit to associate with civilized
people. They are even worse than liberals. And that's what I really
think! Really!

Jeff
Jim
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 08:25:12 -0500
Newsgroups: soc.retirement,alt.war.vietnam,soc.veterins
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 10:10:22 -0500
Newsgroups: soc.retirement,alt.war.vietnam,soc.veterins
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 10:09:28 -0500
A bit obsessive there don't you think? You really, really need to get
out!
Bob Thomas
2004-07-14 16:21:27 UTC
Post by William Boyd
[...]
Ahhh. So.....it's all Rita's fault.

RITA, shame on you.

;O)

bob
Rita
2004-07-14 16:52:03 UTC
Post by Bob Thomas
Post by William Boyd
[...]
I hang my head. So vindictive to poor Willy who only tries to help
when he cross posts to other groups and attracts all kinds of vermin
to soc.retirement.

As I said, I'm an EOC runner down of cross posters, and I'll go
after any be they liberal, conservative or neutral.

Luckily I don't see them anymore with Nfilter. I doubt you can use
this with AOL, however, Bob?
Bill
2004-07-14 20:17:51 UTC
Post by Rita
Post by Bob Thomas
Post by William Boyd
[...]
How could you know he did that? You do not read cross posts.
Post by Rita
As I said, I'm an EOC runner down of cross posters, and I'll go
after any be they liberal, conservative or neutral.
Then due your duty and chastise a couple liberals that are cross posting today -- Chamblee
and ElaneJ.
this with AOL, however, Bob?
Bob
2004-07-15 04:52:59 UTC
Actually, if you'll check with the folks who oversee Usenet, you will
find that they encourage cross-posting to a degree. So despite what
anyone may perceive as having been done or not, they are not breaking
any rules unless they cross-post the same or similar post to 20 squared
newsgroups, approximately, depends on the post whether the Usenet fellas
cancel it.

Personally, I don't like cross-posting but I don't make the rules so I
ain't got nothing to bitch about.

Bob
Ol'Original
Post by Bill
Post by Rita
--
In times of change, there is no incentive so great, and no
medicine so powerful as hope for a better tomorrow.
Rita
2004-07-15 10:10:06 UTC
On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 04:52:59 GMT, Bob
Post by Bob
Actually, if you'll check with the folks who oversee Usenet, you will
find that they encourage cross-posting to a degree. So despite what
anyone may perceive as having been done or not, they are not breaking
any rules unless they cross-post the same or similar post to 20 squared
newsgroups, approximately, depends on the post whether the Usenet fellas
cancel it.
Personally, I don't like cross-posting but I don't make the rules so I
ain't got nothing to bitch about.
I think you will find usenet administrators -- those who are
responsible for maintaining usenet news servers, are mostly
concerned about band width used. Usenet is not a money maker
for ISPs and they find it somewhat a pain to deal with.
Sending the same post to 5 newsgroups at once through cross
posting, rather than sending the same post 5 times to 5 different
groups, arguably saves a bit of band width.

But this is faulty, I believe, because if the same people who
cross post had to re-address each post to 5 separate groups they
probably would not bother, and overall traffic would diminish.

What the administrators don't seem to take into account is how much
readers of usenet dislike cross posts. I think here in soc.retirement
we have seen the kinds of threads that develop through cross posting.
Posters appear on our screen we have never seen before, but do they
stick around and become a member of the group? No, they are never
heard from again because they are, in fact, regular members of some
other newsgroup.

Cross posting to me is like having a conversation with someone who is
continually distracted and is talking to 5 or 6 other people while you
think they are focusing on you.

In general, people with respect for their fellow posters, and who come
to newsgroups to carry on conversations, don't cross post.

I don't understand the makeup of people who believe what they have to say
is so earth shattering that they MUST, just MUST send it off to several
newsgroups. These people are not interested in a conversation but are
of the same ilk as those who plaster fliers on public property to assure
someone doesn't miss reading their political views. They are not looking for
discussion, but conducting a crusade.
Sourdough
2004-07-15 13:57:14 UTC
Post by Bob
[...]
You're just sore because as Chairman of the Censorship Committee,
you're a failure even with the help of your "little turd burglar toady
friends".

What you like can be measured in "Micro-give-a-shits" and doesn't
constitute and emergency on anyone else's part. Usenet is anarchy,
love it or leave it.

"Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea --
massive, difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, entertaining, and a
source of mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least
expect it." --- Gene Spafford
Rita
2004-07-15 15:07:19 UTC
Post by Bob
[...]
Rita doesn't give a tinkers dam about crossposts anymore. That is
why she offered information on Nfilter for those who also dislike
seeing them.

Those who love them can continue to view them -- Rita's screen
does not show them. So Rita is no failure on the cross post question.
She has found a way to beat it and was willing to share that way with
others.

Those who fear they might miss something important in a post made to
multiple newsgroups can continue to view them.
Bill
My head is not stuck in the sand.
Sandeman
2004-07-20 22:44:09 UTC
Post by Bill
Post by Rita
Post by Bob
[...]
I take it this "Nfilter" is another way of becoming an ostrich?

SpongeBob
2004-07-15 13:40:19 UTC
Post by Bob
Actually, if you'll check with the folks who oversee Usenet, you will
find that they encourage cross-posting to a degree. So despite what
anyone may perceive as having been done or not, they are not breaking
any rules unless they cross-post the same or similar post to 20 squared
newsgroups, approximately, depends on the post whether the Usenet fellas
cancel it.
Personally, I don't like cross-posting but I don't make the rules so I
ain't got nothing to bitch about.
Bob
Ol'Original
Congratulations, Past Pastor Bob, you got one right for a change.
Post by Bob
Post by Bill
this with AOL, however, Bob?
Alvin E. Toda
2004-07-15 17:44:09 UTC
Post by Bob
Actually, if you'll check with the folks who
oversee Usenet, you will find that they encourage
cross-posting to a degree. So despite what anyone
may perceive as having been done or not, they are
not breaking any rules unless they cross-post the
same or similar post to 20 squared newsgroups,
approximately, depends on the post whether the
Usenet fellas cancel it.
Personally, I don't like cross-posting but I
don't make the rules so I ain't got nothing to bitch
about.
Bob
Ol'Original
Congratulations, Past Pastor Bob, you got one right
for a change.
But there are couple of problems with cross-posting.
One is that a good troll can take over a ng with a
crossposted thread. The other is that there are ngs
that are not germane to the thread. A little irrelevant
stuff in a ng is tolerable, but when the thread takes
over....
ElaineJ
2004-07-15 17:27:42 UTC
Post by Rita
Luckily I don't see them anymore with Nfilter. I doubt you can use
this with AOL, however, Bob?
I crosspost to them as crossposts first. That is, if you send a
post to soc.ret only, then soc.ret, only, gets my reply.
If you send a post to a miscellany of groups, and I reply, they
also get my remarks. That way the interchange of opinion on the net
remains a conversation and not a series of one-person rants, mmmm?
otoh, if your preferred model for public discourse is a uniformed
thug with a bullhorn standing on a balcony harangueing the peasantry,
of course you'll be disconcerted by this process.

btw, don't you mean "due your dooty"?
Sordo
2004-07-15 17:34:13 UTC
Post by Rita
Luckily I don't see them anymore with Nfilter. I doubt you can use
this with AOL, however, Bob?
I crosspost to them as crossposts first. That is, if you send a
post to soc.ret only, then soc.ret, only, gets my reply.
If you send a post to a miscellany of groups, and I reply, they
also get my remarks. That way the interchange of opinion on the net
remains a conversation and not a series of one-person rants, mmmm?
otoh, if your preferred model for public discourse is a uniformed
thug with a bullhorn standing on a balcony harangueing the peasantry,
of course you'll be disconcerted by this process.
btw, don't you mean "due your dooty"?
Thanks for confirming item #30 of the "The Politically Correct
Leftwing Liberal Handbook", which states:

30. Whenever possible, if you hear or read something that seems quite
logical and might influence someone against the Leftwing Liberal
viewpoint, be sure to pounce on the exception or some tiny,
inconsequential irrelevancy, such as the misspelling, poor punctuation
or mispronunciation of a word, unusual facial expression, article of
clothing or some morsel of arcane trivia or irrelevant minutae in an
attempt to derail the conversation into petty bickering replete with
name-calling and personal slurs.
Islander
2004-07-15 18:25:08 UTC
Post by ElaineJ
btw, don't you mean "due your dooty"?
He has no idea what he means; just lashing out. Bob Woods, the rapid
name changer has been very busy this morning, posting not only as Bill,
but also as Sol, Sally, Elizabeth, Paul, Sourdough, SpongeBob and
various perturbations on Sordo. And those are just the ones that got
past my filters!
S.ordo
2004-07-15 18:38:02 UTC
Post by Islander
Post by ElaineJ
btw, don't you mean "due your dooty"?
He has no idea what he means; just lashing out. Bob Woods, the rapid
name changer has been very busy this morning, posting not only as Bill,
but also as Sol, Sally, Elizabeth, Paul, Sourdough, SpongeBob and
various perturbations on Sordo. And those are just the ones that got
past my filters!
Poor poofter Paul, still whining about his filters. Your filters are a
joke and can be breached at will.
Bill
2004-07-16 01:11:52 UTC
Post by Islander
Post by ElaineJ
btw, don't you mean "due your dooty"?
He has no idea what he means; just lashing out.
I thought you were smart enough to know what I said.
Post by Islander
Bob Woods, the rapid
name changer has been very busy this morning, posting not only as Bill,
but also as Sol, Sally, Elizabeth, Paul, Sourdough, SpongeBob and
various perturbations on Sordo. And those are just the ones that got
past my filters!
I am not Sordo.
I thought you were smart enough to know that.
Bill
2004-07-16 00:36:43 UTC
Post by Rita
Luckily I don't see them anymore with Nfilter. I doubt you can use
this with AOL, however, Bob?
I crosspost to them as crossposts first. That is, if you send a
post to soc.ret only, then soc.ret, only, gets my reply.
If you send a post to a miscellany of groups, and I reply, they
also get my remarks. That way the interchange of opinion on the net
remains a conversation and not a series of one-person rants, mmmm?
otoh, if your preferred model for public discourse is a uniformed
thug with a bullhorn standing on a balcony harangueing the peasantry,
of course you'll be disconcerted by this process.
btw, don't you mean "due your dooty"?
You deleted Rita's statement, "As I said, I'm an *EOC runner down of cross posters*, and
I'll go after any be they liberal, conservative or neutral."

I was suggesting Rita "due her duty" as *EOC runner downer of cross posters* and go after
them. You and Chamblee just happened along at a most opportune time for me to get a
reaction from Rita.
I thinks she fell down on her duty. ;)

*I* have no objections to cross posts.
Bob Thomas
2004-07-14 20:35:01 UTC
Post by Rita
Post by Bob Thomas
Ahhh. So.....it's all Rita's fault.
RITA, shame on you.
;O)
bob
I hang my head. So vindictive to poor Willy who only tries to help
when he cross posts to other groups and attracts all kinds of vermin
to soc.retirement.
GRIN
Post by Rita
As I said, I'm an EOC runner down of cross posters, and I'll go
after any be they liberal, conservative or neutral.
Good on you. As soon as I see more than just this ng in the header I bail out
and don't read it.
Post by Rita
Luckily I don't see them anymore with Nfilter. I doubt you can use
this with AOL, however, Bob?
I doubt it. I'm not crazy about AOL, but after three days of calling customer
support and trying to get Earthlink to work up here in Colorado, I tried it in
desperation. I probably won't stay with it, but I got 45 free days.......what
the Hell?

cheers

bob
ElaineJ
2004-07-15 17:32:44 UTC
Post by Bob Thomas
Post by Rita
Luckily I don't see them anymore with Nfilter. I doubt you can use
this with AOL, however, Bob?
I doubt it. I'm not crazy about AOL, but after three days of calling customer
support and trying to get Earthlink to work up here in Colorado, I tried it in
desperation. I probably won't stay with it, but I got 45 free days.......what
the Hell?
cheers
bob
imho, Newsgroup access with AOL is clearer than with google. The
rest of their service is easy to use but frequently annoying. But 45
days free is a good long sample. You may well learn to tolerate it.
Rita
2004-07-15 19:14:40 UTC
Post by ElaineJ
Post by Bob Thomas
Post by Rita
Luckily I don't see them anymore with Nfilter. I doubt you can use
this with AOL, however, Bob?
I doubt it. I'm not crazy about AOL, but after three days of calling customer
support and trying to get Earthlink to work up here in Colorado, I tried it in
desperation. I probably won't stay with it, but I got 45 free days.......what
the Hell?
cheers
bob
imho, Newsgroup access with AOL is clearer than with google. The
rest of their service is easy to use but frequently annoying. But 45
days free is a good long sample. You may well learn to tolerate it.
May I ask why you post through Google? If your ISP does not provide a
news server you can download the free news server from a university in
Berlin. I used it for a long time when I had Earthlink and their news
server was terrible. It is very reliable and best of all FREE.
Bill
2004-07-14 16:56:35 UTC
Post by William Boyd
[...]
How does it go....... Hell hath no fury like a bitch scorned.
bob
Star Gazer phoebe
2004-07-15 02:54:17 UTC
Hard to tell where you come from WB. I don*t know what
motivations you have. What kind of country you want? How you
generlly address females. If there is hate expressed it is the
made up stories you do on celebrities. Why do you want to
destroy discussion?
William Boyd
2004-07-15 03:43:28 UTC
I'm just scanning over the thread and ran in to what looks like you are
inferring that BILL poster name is William Boyd, as you have abbreviated
WB.
If this is so then your ability to read headers should be improved, as
although I sign my posts as Bill maybe I should change back to Hoppie
again so you are not confused. Hoppie (OK?)
destroy discussion?
El Castor
2004-07-14 17:51:18 UTC
Post by William Boyd
[...]
Bill,

This is one of those rare cases where Rita is correct. You are a
cross-poster. It matters not if you don't initiate the thread --
you're equally guilty. In short, Bill -- please cut it out.

Jeff
Sordo
Tsk, tsk, under mother's wing, Jeff ?
El Castor
2004-07-14 22:42:11 UTC
Post by El Castor
Post by William Boyd
[...]
Hey! No way. I invented hating cross posters on my own. No help needed
from Rita. And I do hate 'em!
William Boyd
2004-07-15 03:21:36 UTC
Post by El Castor
This is one of those rare cases where Rita is correct. You are a
cross-poster. It matters not if you don't initiate the thread --
you're equally guilty. In short, Bill -- please cut it out.
Jeff
You know Jeff you do not have much management skills to you, such as
telling some one that they should cut out something that is perfectly
acceptable practice. You know dammed well that I will come back and tell
you to go fuck your self. So to coin your phrase, "in short, please kiss
my ass". Now that we got that out of the way, I suggest you install
Rita's program to ward off those villains cross posted threads. CHEERS
BILL
Thumper
2004-07-15 03:47:19 UTC
Post by William Boyd
Post by El Castor
This is one of those rare cases where Rita is correct. You are a
cross-poster. It matters not if you don't initiate the thread --
you're equally guilty. In short, Bill -- please cut it out.
Jeff
You know Jeff you do not have much management skills to you, such as
telling some one that they should cut out something that is perfectly
acceptable practice.
Like hell it is.
Thumper
BILL
Star Gazer phoebe
2004-07-16 17:48:03 UTC
It has been as I expected. No answers. Only insults. The
insults having no character or bearing just a desire to
destroy.
El Castor
2004-07-15 06:06:26 UTC
Post by William Boyd
Post by El Castor
This is one of those rare cases where Rita is correct. You are a
cross-poster. It matters not if you don't initiate the thread --
you're equally guilty. In short, Bill -- please cut it out.
Jeff
You know Jeff you do not have much management skills to you, such as
telling some one that they should cut out something that is perfectly
acceptable practice. You know dammed well that I will come back and tell
you to go fuck your self. So to coin your phrase, "in short, please kiss
my ass". Now that we got that out of the way, I suggest you install
Rita's program to ward off those villains cross posted threads. CHEERS
BILL
I've done that, Bill. Unfortunately, sometimes you post to just this
one. When you post to seven, do you know or care if you get a response
in one of those seven groups? Maybe one of your fellow assholes over
in alt.fan.rush-limbaugh would really like to talk to you? Educate me.
How do you handle it? Do you monitor all seven groups? Nah, probably
not. So why bother? Do you figure that what you've got to say is so
chock full of wisdom that you need to really spread it around? That's
good, I guess. People like you wander through UseNet in a fog and
attract the worst possible assholes to soc.retirement. Birds of a
feather, Bill. Like flies to shit. Thanks a lot. Learn some manners.
Crossposting is like picking your nose and scratching your ass in
public.

Jeff
Jim
2004-07-15 14:38:54 UTC
On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 06:06:26 GMT, El Castor
Post by El Castor
Post by William Boyd
Post by El Castor
[...]
I have been silent on the issue thus far and have two points of view.

First, I hate crossposters who are looking to fill up the place with
bull. They throw a grenade to half dozen groups and then chuckle as
folks fight. Most of the time I just filter every person I see
regularly from such posts and I have about twenty pages of names in my
filter file.

Second, sometimes I see a post that interests me that has been
crossposted. If I feel like responding, I do and don't cut any of the
areas out. I want to hear from some of the people in other areas and
have no way to know what group they post from. Very likely, there are
several folks posting from several groups.

If you and Rita can't handle such responses, tough! That is why
USENET has multiple area possibility.
Rita
2004-07-15 14:59:39 UTC
Post by Jim
On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 06:06:26 GMT, El Castor
I have been silent on the issue thus far and have two points of view.
First, I hate crossposters who are looking to fill up the place with
bull. They throw a grenade to half dozen groups and then chuckle as
folks fight. Most of the time I just filter every person I see
regularly from such posts and I have about twenty pages of names in my
filter file.
Second, sometimes I see a post that interests me that has been
crossposted. If I feel like responding, I do and don't cut any of the
areas out. I want to hear from some of the people in other areas and
have no way to know what group they post from. Very likely, there are
several folks posting from several groups.
If you and Rita can't handle such responses, tough! That is why
USENET has multiple area possibility.
But Jeff and I do handle them -- we use Nfilter so we never see the
blasted crossposts. It is the rest of you who must endure them and
since I'm protected againt them if you like your screen cluttered up
with them, be my guest. No skin off my nose anymore.
Sorduo
2004-07-15 15:12:25 UTC
Post by Rita
But Jeff and I do handle them -- we use Nfilter so we never see the
blasted crossposts. It is the rest of you who must endure them and
since I'm protected againt them if you like your screen cluttered up
with them, be my guest. No skin off my nose anymore.
Then why the whining diatribes, Rita ? It's more that you can't
control the environment than it is crossposts, which by your
own admission, you don't see. I love when you control freaks
are denied your pleasures and can't have it your own way.
Rita
Enjoy the cross posters.
Sordo
2004-07-15 15:44:32 UTC
Post by Rita
Post by Sorduo
Post by Rita
But Jeff and I do handle them -- we use Nfilter so we never see the
blasted crossposts. It is the rest of you who must endure them and
since I'm protected againt them if you like your screen cluttered up
with them, be my guest. No skin off my nose anymore.
Then why the whining diatribes, Rita ? It's more that you can't
control the environment than it is crossposts, which by your
own admission, you don't see. I love when you control freaks
are denied your pleasures and can't have it your own way.
Enjoy the cross posters.
No problem for me, I just ignore what I don't want to see
instead of attempting to dictate to the world something
which I couldn't influence if I wanted to.

Life must be very frustrating for you due to your inability
to control others thought processes and actions, except
for several of your "little toady friends", of course.
Jim
2004-07-15 18:23:10 UTC
Post by Rita
Post by Jim
[...]
You did not read my comments. I have not been complaining about
crossposters! It is a non-issue for me.

I would rather see some of the cross posting and decide for myself
whether or not to read it. You should know by now that I am probably
the fastest person to pull the trigger on filtering folks out. I hit
the filter immediately when I read a crossposter who I don't want to
read. No skin off my nose either. But, YOU and Jeff were the ones
whining about it and all the commentary!

If you DID not use Nfilter, you would see Chamblee is the most
prolific crossposter however. I am sure you are not going to go after
him with the same zeal you are using harassing Bill.
Rita
Oh, poor Bill. Poor Bill. Sob.
El Castor
2004-07-15 21:27:18 UTC
Post by Jim
Post by Rita
Post by Jim
[...]
Ironically, Chamblee was at one time an outspoken critic of cross
posting. I'm sure Rita knows that.
William Boyd
El Castor
Stick it in your ear.
Bob Thomas
2004-07-15 20:15:10 UTC
Post by Jim
Second, sometimes I see a post that interests me that has been
crossposted. If I feel like responding, I do and don't cut any of the
areas out. I want to hear from some of the people in other areas and
have no way to know what group they post from. Very likely, there are
several folks posting from several groups.
If you and Rita can't handle such responses, tough! That is why
USENET has multiple area possibility.
Crossposting guarantees that many, me included, will NOT read your posts. I
assume that suits you too.

cheers

bob
Jim
2004-07-15 23:00:10 UTC
Post by Bob Thomas
Post by Jim
Second, sometimes I see a post that interests me that has been
crossposted. If I feel like responding, I do and don't cut any of the
areas out. I want to hear from some of the people in other areas and
have no way to know what group they post from. Very likely, there are
several folks posting from several groups.
If you and Rita can't handle such responses, tough! That is why
USENET has multiple area possibility.
Crossposting guarantees that many, me included, will NOT read your posts. I
assume that suits you too.
cheers
bob
Of course it suits me. I stated above that I was interested in
comments from folks outside in some threads.

Further, (and please do respond!) just how inclined are you to read
and respond to anything I may say? You are a nice guy but I never
hear from you so why should I suddenly value feedback on changing my
posting behavior?
Bob Thomas
2004-07-16 16:39:40 UTC
Post by Jim
Post by Bob Thomas
Crossposting guarantees that many, me included, will NOT read your posts. I
assume that suits you too.
cheers
bob
Of course it suits me. I stated above that I was interested in
comments from folks outside in some threads.
I participate in several threads. I don't, however, crosspost.
Post by Jim
Further, (and please do respond!) just how inclined are you to read
and respond to anything I may say?
If you don't crosspost and the subject interests me I will read and respond.

You are a nice guy but I never
Post by Jim
hear from you so why should I suddenly value feedback on changing my
posting behavior?
Well, I didn't single you out, others did. Actually, I am not rabid on the
subject of cross posting and the occasional crossposting is fine with me. My
remarks had to do with how common it has become. For instance, I opened
several threads that looked interesting this morning. This thread is the ONLY
one that was not cross posted to at least a half a dozen newsgroups.

cheers

bob
ElaineJ
2004-07-15 23:53:50 UTC
Jim <***@nomail.com> wrote in message news:<***@4ax.com>...
-snip-
Post by Jim
I have been silent on the issue thus far and have two points of view.
First, I hate crossposters who are looking to fill up the place with
bull. They throw a grenade to half dozen groups and then chuckle as
folks fight. Most of the time I just filter every person I see
regularly from such posts and I have about twenty pages of names in my
filter file.
Twenty pages?! Mama mia! You're serious about this.
Post by Jim
Second, sometimes I see a post that interests me that has been
crossposted. If I feel like responding, I do and don't cut any of the
areas out. I want to hear from some of the people in other areas and
have no way to know what group they post from. Very likely, there are
several folks posting from several groups.
Yes, that's pretty much the way I feel. It's a chance to get some
additional input from a site you'd otherwise never know about or visit
on your own; it's an all-you-can-read-buffet. Getting input from new,
exotic newsgroups is like chatting with everyone in earshot at the
grocery store & the 7-11, which I do. Turns out that the net
privileges of little whitehaired grannies carry over into 4-space: at
any time we choose, we can talk to anybody we want about any wholesome
topic of our choice. Of course, one is not always taken completely
seriously.
At any rate, I apologize if my idea of fun has inconvenienced
anyone on this group, tho I have to confess I don't see how it could.
If I just need more info, please do enlighten me.
Bill
2004-07-15 15:37:15 UTC
Post by El Castor
Post by William Boyd
Post by El Castor
[...]
I will answer one of you questions. "Do you monitor all seven groups?"
No, you don't need to monitor all seven groups, only one.
Anyone replying to the thread in any one of the groups listed in the header will show in
this group and all other groups listed in the header.
As you can see, his friend over in alt.fan.rush-limbaugh can talk to him.
El Castor
2004-07-15 18:05:22 UTC
Post by Bill
Post by El Castor
Post by William Boyd
Post by El Castor
[...]
Maybe, maybe not. I don't know what you're using for a news reader,
but mine (Agent) can (I believe it's the default) be set to reply to
only the group I'm posting from. I used to do just that until I
realized that the jackasses I was replying to weren't seeing my posts
-- they were just sending stuff over here to cause trouble. Ever
notice that cross posters are almost universally nut cases? Drooling
anti-semites, throw Bush in jail, send the Niggers back to Africa --
stuff like that. They found soc.retirement back in 1999 when Earl
Evleth invited Harry Hope to come on over to soc.retirement and post
his Left Wing crap. We were inundated. If it's possible, he was worse
than that scum bag Chamblee. Harry attracted others and since then
we've been up to our ears in their garbage.

It's easy to say, it's all "legal", but the jackass crossposters have
contributed to the general level of nastiness around here and have
driven away a lot (most?) old timers who were pretty decent people.
Too bad.

Jeff
Star Gazer phoebe
2004-07-14 16:55:47 UTC
I*m afraid thats so, Bob. Does not make interesting discussion.